As promised in the first post, here is round 2 of my testing with PowerPath VE and vSphere 5 NMP Round Robin on VMAX. For this round of testing, I changed the Round Robin iooperationslimit to 1, from the default of 1000.
I understand that this is not recommended, and I also understand that further testing is needed with multiple hosts, multiple VM’s and multiple LUN’s. As soon as I get the time, I’ll do that and report back.
For the background, and methodology, click the link above to read the first post. For now, I’ll skip right to the scorecard.
As we can see here, setting Round Robin IOPS to 1 definitely evens the score with PowerPath. I expected to see more CPU activity than PP, but that wasn’t the case. I also expect to see more overhead on the array once I add more hosts, VM’s and LUN’s to the mix. It might be a few weeks before I can pull that off.
Thanks for reading, and commenting. Round 3 to come.